Filing a Complaint


The Northwest Territories Association of Architects (NWTAA) is governed by the Architects Act, which was called into force in by the NWT Legislative Assembly in 2001. The Act charges NWTAA with the regulation of the profession of Architecture in the NWT to safeguard the public from professional misconduct, gross negligence, incompetence or misrepresentation.

  • Misconduct - The NWTAA Code of Ethics outlines a code of conduct for members.
  • Gross Negligence/Incompetence - NWTAA determines whether the prescribed requirements for membership have been met for registration with the Association. NWTAA then promotes and records on-going mandatory Continuing Education to ensure competency within the profession.  NWTAA also monitors the standards of practice for members outlined in the Act.
  • Misrepresentation - Only members of the NWTAA can call themselves Architects in the NWT, and only interns registered with the NWTAA may call themselves Intern Architects (IA).  Only NWTAA members can complete architectural work  in the NWT.  In general terms, these are buildings over 600 square meters in area and more than 3-storeys in height.

In short, the NWTAA verifies the requirements of the Act are fulfilled by its members for public safety and protection.

If an individual believes that conduct or services rendered are sub-standard, a complaint may be lodged with NWTAA, as follows:

  • File a complaint with the Registrar in a form acceptable to the Registrar.
  • On the filing of the complaint, the Registrar refers it to a mediator, which has been appointed by Council. The Mediator may assist in a settlement if the complainant and the member against whom the complaint is made so agrees.
  • If no agreement can be made, the Mediator refers the matter to the Complaints Review Committee.
  • Where a complaint has been referred to the Committee or in the absence of a complaint, the council or committee are of the opinion that a member ought to be investigated, the committee shall designate in writing, a person as an investigator to conduct a preliminary investigation of the complaint or the matter.
  • The investigator may at the direction of the committee employ legal or other assistance considered necessary for the preliminary investigation.
  • The Investigator report the finding to the committee
  • Having reviewed the report, the committee may dismiss the claim as frivolous or without basis or direct that a hearing be held in respect to the complaint or the matter under investigation.
  • Council shall at the direction of the committee conduct a hearing.
  • Upon completion of the hearing, council shall:
    • Dismiss the complaint or take no further action on the matter and give the complainant and the member written notice of it’s decision, or
    • Decide that the conduct under investigation is improper and reprimand the member in a manner described in the act.

For more information on filing a complaint, contact the NWTAA office.