Application for Membership


Registered Architect

Eligible architects may apply via one of the following modes:

  • First-Time Applicant - A person who has successfully completed a Canadian internship program (or similar qualifier) and who has not yet attained a practicing licence in any Canadian jurisdiction.
  • Reciprocal Applicant - An architect who is currently licensed, in good standing, in at least one Canadian jurisdiction.
  • Internationally Recognized Applicant - An architect from a country/jurisdiction into which a mutual recognition agreement has been entered with Canada.  This includes Australia, New Zealand, Mexico and select jurisdictions/states within the US.
  • Foreign-Trained Applicant - An architect who has been trained and has been practicing architecture outside of Canada, and has been certified through the Broadly Experienced Foreign Architect (BEFA) program.

Application Requirements

  • Application for Registration as an Architect, including (if applicable)
    • Copy of CACB Certificate / BEFA certification
    • Copies of all degrees & equivalent certificates noted in Part 3
    • Copy of current resume/curriculum vitae
    • Proof of Canadian citizenship, certificate of permanent residency
      OR copy of valid work visa
    • Certificate of Licence/Registration from my home jurisdiction
  • Complaint Declaration
  • Payment of Application & Registration Fees

Once registered, Architects have one (1) year from the date of approval to complete a Reading Requirement:

Intern Architect

The Intern Architect Program has been developed by CALA to facilitate the transition from graduate students of architecture to fully-licenced practicing architects. For more information, and to register as an Intern Architect, see Intern Architect Program.


An individual may apply for membership in the Association as an Associate Member if the applicant holds a degree in architecture or interior design or its equivalent from an educational institution satisfactory to the Universities Co-coordinating Council.

Application for Registration as an Associate Member


An individual may apply for membership in the Association as a Student Associate if the applicant is engaged in a course of study, recognized by the Council, in the practice of architecture or has successfully completed all courses in Program Part 1 (Level 5) of the RAIC Syllabus Program or equivalent, and is about to commence or has commenced the practical training referred to in the Education and Training Regulation.  For more information on student memberships, contact the NWTAA office.

Firm Permit Application

Architectural firms providing architectural services within the Northwest Territories must register and maintain a firm permit.

Firms must be incorporated with the Government of Northwest Territories. Information regarding incorporation of firms in the Northwest Territories can be provided by the Government of the NWT:

GNWT Department of Justice

Territorial Incorporation
Extra-territorial Registrations

Application Requirements

NOTE: The Application for Registration of a Firm Permit is a fillable PDF form, and will automatically calculate application and registration fees based on the number of NWTAA-registered and Canadian-registered Architects provided by you.  Please contact the NWTAA at (867) 766-4216 for any questions regarding fees.